BEST TOYS 2018 – 2019
For a child, playing is much more than playing. It is to investigate, to discover, to enjoy, to learn, to grow … and to be happy. That’s why our children spend all day thinking about playing, and that’s why they should do it a lot more often. It is up to us, as parents, to empower this activity and offer them the best tools to carry it out: toys. And its manufacturers are responsible for creating and innovating continuously to put in our hand’s products that favor the development of our children.
But what are the best toys? What requirements must be met to stand out from the others? Although the answer is not easy, there are a number of design features, gameplay, skill development, originality … that lead some to deserve special recognition.
Those are the characteristics that have been valued to choose the Best Toys of 2017. A jury formed by experts from different fields has evaluated 85 candidates and has chosen one from each category. In addition, in this third edition of the awards, organized by the Spanish Association of Toy Manufacturers (AEFJ), have been awarded three other awards voted by the Public, Distribution, and Jury.
Do you want to know what the winners are this year?
The best toys for babies under one-year-old in 2018 – 2019
During the first months of life the game is very important for the physical and social development of the baby to stimulate their creativity and imagination. Know the toys that stimulate their physical, cognitive and social skills.
During the first months of life, babies have a whole world to discover. They learn to smile, to look, to catch, to suck, to bite … The game is very important for the babies in the development of their skills, their social development and to stimulate their creativity and imagination. That is why it is fundamental that we choose for them toys that stimulate their physical, cognitive and social abilities.
Tips for Choosing the Best Toys
Until they reach their first year we will buy games to help them develop these skills, such as:
- Toys that stimulate physical development (crawling, standing, walking …)
- Toys that encourage early learning of letters, numbers, shapes, and colors.
- Musical toys, with lights, buttons, levers and spinning discs.
- Stacking and building toys to help you distinguish shapes and sizes.
- Toys with phones that promote language development and stimulate conversation
Of course, there are other aspects that we should keep in mind when buying a toy for our baby:
- That complies with current safety standards.
- Do not be sexist, racist or violent.
Remember that good toys should be safe, durable and attractive to our little ones.
The best toys for babies from 0-6 months:
- Rattles of bright colors
- Mobile phones for cradle
- Snapping and biting and biting rings
- Activities Blankets
- Cloth books
- Dolls made of gum or cloth
The best toys for babies 6-12 months:
- Cubes and colored blocks for stacking
- Trunks, tricycles, toys with wheels
- Musical toys
- Stories with different textures
Lastly, we must bear in mind that we should not overdo each other by giving gifts to our little ones. We will not help them by buying everything they ask for. The excessive amount of toys can provoke attitudes of caprice, boredom and lack of interest.
Best toys for every age
- Simple Puzzle
- Toys for digging (shovel, bucket, rake)
- Outdoor games: slide, hammock, sandpit, etc.
- Tricycle for Beginners
- Catching toys
- Toys that encourage them to play imitate situations of everyday life (kitchen, telephone, vacuum cleaner, etc.)
- Animals and / or stuffed animals
- Dolls and puppets of all sizes
- Musical instruments
- Large stacking cubes and fabric or material for this age
- Toys with pieces to build (taking care that parts are not so small to avoid accidents)
- Cardboard or cloth house, where you can hide, take your toys and have fun inside the fantasy house
- Music for dancing and singing
- Farms with animals
- Dolls and accessories for dolls
- Carts for carrying things
- Games with dough, clay, plasticine
- Simple board games like cards, ludo, dominoes
- Puzzles (with 20 or 30 large pieces that represent a challenge for the child but can put everything together)
- Clothing for disguise
- A basketball game
- Plastic bowling set
- Bicycle with wheels
- Slate / Magic Slate
- Toys for making bubbles
- Paintings, brushes, watercolors, cases
- Books with short stories and drawings, to color or paste pictures
- Toys and dolls for arm and disarm
- Puppet theater and puppets
- Colored pencils and crayons
- Board games where they have a challenge according to their age and skill (fish fish, arrange pieces so they do not fall, etc.)
- Karaoke with microphone
- Craft toys and adult activities such as tool boxes, nurse, doctor, etc.
- Games to organize: towns, garages, cities, farms, etc.
- Games based on sports such as ball, soccer bow, basketball hoop, racket, etc.
- Child Microscope
- All kinds of costumes and makeup boxes
- Games and accessories of explorers (binoculars, lantern, walkie-talkie, etc.)
- Tracks for cars, trains with tracks
- Games of visual memory
- Jump rope, elastic
- Templates and molds for drawing and painting
- Experiment games
- Microscope, telescope
- Magic games
- Arming or Pasting Sets
- All kinds of instruments: guitar, harmonica, organ, battery, etc.
- Sets for sewing or weaving
- Accounts and threads for making bracelets, necklaces, etc.
- Make-up, combing games
- Games for crafts such as cold ceramics to create shapes and dolls of greater difficulty and then paint
- Games for painting with tempera, watercolor, etc.
- Gardening games to plant your own little plant
- Cooking games with simple recipes to do with parental supervision
- Career paths
- Photo camera
- Roller skates
- More complex table games to share with family and friends (naval battle, memotest, cards, domino, etc.)
- Digital games (link to video games)
Finding the ideal toy for the child is a task that needs time and attention, because among so many advertising stimuli, prices and fashions sometimes it is difficult not to get dizzy and choose well.
As a guide, parents, uncles or grandparents can rely on these tips to find the perfect toy:
- In principle it is fundamental to look and give importance to the safety indications of the toy, also verifying that it is indicated for the age of the baby or child.
- Do not buy toys in non-specialized establishments and opt for responsible stores where original toys are sold and where they can inform, advise, know the origin of the toy and enable a future change or claim if necessary.
- Choose toys that allow the protagonism of the child and an active attitude to really be stimulating and fun for them, avoiding that they become mere spectators of the toy.
- Do not choose toys solely because of their instructive or “educational” nature. The toy should be fun and interesting for the child, and if it is not, it does not fulfill its purpose.
- Try not to get carried away by advertising, which can often be misleading. Although it has to be taken into account to know what is in the toy stores or what can get to like the boys, do not necessarily have to buy that is fashionable or is constantly repeated in the advertising guidelines.
- Do not buy a particular toy because it is expensive. The price does not go hand in hand with fun or quality. A cheap toy can be a lot of fun for the kids and an expensive, sophisticated and complex toy may not be enriching.
- Do not decide based on your own taste: choosing based on what you played or liked to play as a boy is not always the best option, because times have changed and the tastes of the boys, in part, too.
- Knowing what you are buying: whether it is a game for consoles, a toy or a board game, it is important for adults to know how it works, how it is played, what the characters are, rules, etc. Because there are games with slogans that are not suitable or ideal for children.
- Choose a toy that is not sexist, warlike, violent or that transmits values contrary to those inculcated at home.
- Do not always give away a similar toy or the same type of play every time because the child “enchants” you. Variety helps the child enjoy diverse experiences and stimulates their development from different points of view.